Tuesday, November 03, 2009

early influences


What was the first two dimensional piece of art that really had a strong influence on you?

I thought about this for a few minutes, then one image came really strongly to mind. I remember seeing it in a gallery in Glasgow - very well positioned right at the end of a long hallway. You come around the corner and there it is - Dali's Christ of Saint John of the Cross. Had a strong impact on me at the time. Has stuck with me ever since, on some level. I only really give it much conscious thought again after being asked the question above, in a workshop. Then I actually went back and looked at it and took in the themes.

4 comments:

Dave Wilson said...

It must be a Glasgow thing since this painting is right at the top of my inspiration list too. I strongly suspect it's why I love using ultra-wide lenses :-)

Paul said...

Gordon, good to see you post again! That is a powerful photo and I can see why it would influence anyone.

Unknown said...

I think that is certainly true, Dave - I remember some poll showing it was the favourite image of about 30% of Scottish people or around that number. What was really surprising for me about this is what I realised later...

Rosie Perera said...

I remember seeing that Dali painting while it was in St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art, while the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was undergoing resorations. It was in St. Mungo between 1993 and 2006. I saw it in 2004. It did make a huge impression on me. Another work which it reminds me of is Andrea Mantegna's Lamentation over the Dead Christ, in that both are stark and unusual vantage points for viewing the body of Christ.

Here is the drawing by St. John of the Cross which inspired Dali's work: Christ Crucified