Friday, February 23, 2007

Video out

helen

Shot at a recent portrait class. The lighting was really simple, 2 sets of Target floor lamps. Each lamp has 3 adjustable 100W bulbs that can be moved around/ pointed in different directions. In this case, they were all pointing through a 1m square diffusion panel, about 3 inches to the left of the frame (i.e., really close to her face) Total cost of the lighting equipment is around $60. She is sitting on the floor, looking up towards me while I stand on a small chair and shoot down towards her, giving the really great fall off from the shallow depth of field of the lens and her body angle. Was also interesting because I was shooting tethered to get a quick and large view of the shots I was taking. However, I wasn't tethered to a laptop, with the associated slight download delay, my camera was plugged directly into a digital projector, via the video out. You can do the same thing with a TV - essentially the LCD display on the rear of the camera appears on the projected screen or TV display and you can use all the normal menus, review and zooming that you could on the LCD, except it is 16ftx20ft in size. This can really help the subject see what you are doing or trying to achieve - so can be very helpful - as long as you are getting good shots! ISO800, 1/160s at f1.8, 85mm f1.8 on a Canon 1dII

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing light. I want to try the video idea, might do it someday - but for now, I'm just going to admire the results of your hard work :-)

Jeff said...

Your site is so much fun to read. It is giving me all sorts of ideas. This image has wonderful light and shadows to work your model. Well done.

Unknown said...

Really beautiful and flattering pose.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful portrait! Lighting is wonderful - I'll have to try the video idea.

Jen P. said...

I love taking shots from this angle. I think it is my favorite "pose" if you will.