Wednesday, September 12, 2007

karen

karen

A new good friend of mine, Karen. We were paired up on an assignment in one of the squares in Savannah. It turned into a walk around to look at the different types of light quality we could find. Walking along, using each other as models, we talked about what light was hitting us and looked for ways to find it. The square had one large orange building in full sunlight and I've used that here has a huge orange reflector to warm Karen's skin. I'd use the back of my hand as a guide, seeing how the reflected light changed as I turned my fist around, watching it hit my forearm as I moved my arm in the space. After a few minutes of carefully paying attention I started noticing that I could feel the light hitting my face, turning half on I could really feel the light falling across my skin and how the ratios changed. Moving through the tree shaded area I could tell when the sun behind me was hitting my head, providing a back or accent hair light, or the warmth bouncing from a wall. Just taking the time to look at light was making me more sensitive to it. Karen also took the funniest set of self-portraits I saw in the whole workshop. Great imagination and hysterically funny to see. Inspiring.

0 comments: