Friday, March 13, 2009

mary ellen mark

Went to the ACP Mary Ellen Mark lecture last night. I was amazed by how many people showed up - they had to turn some people away at the door I think. A packed auditorium and an interesting array of images. One thing that stood out was she kept using the word 'relentless' to describe how to achieve the images she made. Going back, time and again, facing rejection and just turning up the next day to eventually get the acceptance and access she wanted to make the images. I'm already looking forward to the Alec Soth talk on the 4th of June. You can see more of Mary Ellen's pictures in the USA Character project. The rest of that body of work is also fantastic, with some great portraits by 11 photographers. Some really arresting images.

3 comments:

Anita Jesse said...

Thanks for the link. I never would have seen this, otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Eeek, spelling BooBoo. It is Mary Ellen *Mark*. Thanks for the great link

Unknown said...

Yes Scott - thanks for that. Teach me to write things early in the morning. I fixed it.