Sunday, November 19, 2006

Backgrounds

I was listening to a lightsource podcast with David Hobby who runs strobist.blogspot.com. I'd recently gone through his excellent site so was keen to hear what he had to say. One thing stood out for me from the great interview. That was the idea of having a catalog of great backgrounds in your local area, shot and ready to go next time you need to pose someone. Different themes, different light and so on, ready to just go to with the right person at the right time and shoot away. Also in that was the idea of having a few high, open west facing sunset locations, that you could tell someone to meet you at the right time, cross light with a strobe and have a great shot in a few seconds. I'm going to try and get one of those google maps put in here, so I can start adding to a database of Austin backgrounds. I'll see if I can work out how to make it public and have y'all add to it as we go on, too. I'm also going to start shooting 'clean' versions of these backgrounds, to catalog and also as a drop in for other shots, as needed. But the real idea is to have pre-scouted a whole lot of great portrait locations ahead of time, so that you can pick the feel & mood that is going to suit the person you want to shoot.

0 comments: