Monday, November 05, 2007

confessions of a photographer

confessions of a photographer

The more I photograph people, the more fun photography gets for me. Each and every time I put myself out there with my camera I get to interact with people I'd normally not talk to or get to spend time with. In this case, I met up with some friends and we were shooting on Sixth Street in Austin. We walked past the new Alamo Drafthouse in the Ritz, that had just opened. Outside was superman. Or at least Christopher Dennis, wearing the blue suit, advertising the documentary 'Confessions of a Superhero'. I didn't know much about the film and figured he was just hired locally to promote it. We chatted, I shot some pictures, worked the scene a bit, he was in to it, struck some great poses and we went on our way. I liked the result and sent it to the Drafthouse. They were kind enough to give me credit and a link back on their web site. Then I get another email asking to use the image in an interview with the director of the documentary, Matt Ogens. From that I find out that I'd actually been taking a picture of one of the four people the documentary is about. Christopher Dennis spends his life as superman, getting tips and taking photos with people out in Hollywood. Check out the movie web site here and also the trailer on youtube. If we hadn't started taking pictures on Sixth Street, I wouldn't have ended up finding out about Christopher's story. Each time I spend the time to take someone's picture links me in to something interesting. I'm wanting to go and see the documentary now!

5 comments:

Steve said...

Great story. That is a great shout out on their website.

Anonymous said...

Gordon, I love the story behind the picture (which I also love). It's so amazing what can happen when we open ourselves up to new opportunities. They sure gave you great credit on the web site. I see even more great theings happening for you.

Don and Sher said...

Great story, you just never know where the little things in life will lead.

Holly Sisson said...

Great and captivating shot Gordon. Love the back story too! :-) Good for you, and well deserved too!

Anonymous said...

This guy shows up on Jimmy Kimmel quite often as well.. he's pretty funny, but has never struck me as one of the sharper knives in the drawer.