Tuesday, December 04, 2007

kate & tim

kate & tim

Another shot from the Big Bend adventure. Kate & Tim were looking for something festive and I happened to have the becoming ubiquitous red nose in my bag, along with a santa hat that we'd planned to use for our own Christmas card pictures. We were in Ernst Tinaja, a long, thin river cut canyon with amazing red-orange walls. The sun was high over head but the light was bouncing around the canyon walls. The last time I was in there I'd noticed that the light was beautiful for portraits and I wanted to try it out on this trip. I'd borrowed Sam's 10D for these shots and was just about familiar enough with the controls to get the shots I wanted. I like this particular one because I'd asked them to balance the nose between them and they just look so happy while playing around with it. The diagonal composition and the gaze works for me, along with the two bright red areas to keep the eye moving - even with the nose so centered in the frame and such a dominant colour - I think the splash of red in the hat offsets it a touch, balanced with the complimentary dark green patch in Tim's top. Similarly his dark hair balances the white trim on the hat - shapes are about the same size and shape, so an interesting colour and tone symmetry around the ball.

0 comments: